Aquaponics Update – 2nd December 2013

Finally after starting in May 2013 the final piece of the jigsaw has been put in place and my Aquaponics system is fully functioning.

Shade Cloth 1Shade Cloth 2Shade cloth put on today, just in time for what looks like being a very long and hot summer.

It’s been great going from concept to reality and solving the problems as they presented themselves. It truly is a one off and one that in time will become a vibrant highly productive and sustainable veggie and fruit growing system.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Aquaponics Update – 2nd December 2013

1. uberdish says:

Congratulations, Paul! Wishing you an abundant and joyful growing season! (We’re in for a long and cold winter…brrrr)

2. Rachael says:

Hi, I am also a vegan and setting up an aquaponics system. What fish do you use? I don’t like the idea of killing them ( obviously) so after alternatives.

• G’day Rachael, thanks for your question.
      I started out with goldfish as I set up my system in the middle of winter and goldfish are very hardy. Recently I added Silver Perch.
      You don’t have to cull your fish as you can just keep them as a means to produce the nutrients for your plants.
      Where do you live? If you live in the States then your best fish would be Tilapia as they do well in tanks, grow very quickly and are very hardy.
      Tilapia are not allowed in Australia, with massive fines should you be caught with any, dead or alive.

3. rachael says:

Thanks for the reply. I am actually in Brisbane and had been looking at using jade perch or silver perch so good to hear you have had some sucess. My system is set up at the moment and is going the inital cycle before i get the fish. I REALLY wish I had a setup as impressive as yours. Well done

• Jade Perch would be best for you Rachael. They apparently do very well in tanks. I cant use them in Victoria as the water temperature is too cold for them in winter. Keep me informed as to your progress wont you?

4. marycheshier says:

Fabulous post! I love your ideas for green living! The Aquaponics system sounds like it was a great project.

5. marycheshier says:

Reblogged this on How 2 Be Green and commented:
    A great site for sustainable living!